- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 16 ounces cremini mushrooms, de-stemmed and sliced
- 8 ounces Spaghetti, plus ⅓ cup reserved pasta water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup dry white wine (such as chardonnay or pinot grigio)
- ¼ to ⅓ cup cashew cream (below)
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh tarragon
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh chives
- ⅓ cup shaved Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
savory cashew cream (this makes extra)*
- ⅓ cup raw cashews + ½ cup water (or skip this mixture and use regular cream)
- ½ clove garlic (a small one)
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon dijon mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- Make the cashew cream by blending all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth. Set aside. (note: it’s not going to be very thick, it should be the consistency of half & half or heavy cream).
- In a large pan heat the olive oil oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, a few generous pinches of salt and pepper, and cook until soft and wilted, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in salted boiling water 1 minute short of the package directions, until al dente. Reserve ⅓ cup of the starchy pasta water before draining.
- To the mushrooms, add the wine. Stir and let it reduce for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, then the cooked pasta and toss. Add a few splashes of the cashew cream and a few splashes of the pasta water and toss to create a light sauce. Add half of the fresh herbs and season to taste. Serve immediately with remaining fresh herbs and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese on top.