Orange Serrano Salsa: 3 tomatoes, cored, chopped ½ yellow onion, peeled 2 serrano chilies, peeled, seeded 1 garlic glove, peeled ¼ bunch fresh cilantro leafs 2 oranges, halved, juiced 1 lime, zest only Salt and pepper to taste
Slaw: ¼ head napa cabbage, cored, shredded 1 carrot, peeled, turned into ¹/8-inch strings 1 lime, juice only Pinch ground coriander Salt and pepper to taste
Duck: 1 t. whole cumin ½ t. whole coriander ¼ t. chili powder ½ t. whole black peppercorns 1 poblano, roasted, peeled, seeded, ¼ inch diced ½ red onion, peeled, halved, grilled, ¼ inch diced ½ red pepper, seeded, ¼ inch diced 1 clove garlic, peeled, minced 1 t. duck fat 4 duck thighs, confit, meat only 12 4-inch flour tortillas, for service 3 red radishes, shaved, for service
Orange Serrano Salsa:
- Evenly char tomatoes, onion and chilies. (Excess charring adds bitterness and black flakes to salsa.)
- Place tomatoes, onions, chilies, garlic and cilantro into blender. Puree until combined, leaving some texture. Stir in orange juice and lime zest. Season with salt and pepper. Cover; chill.
- Place cabbage shreds in mixing bowl.
- Rough chop carrot strings. Add to cabbage. Add lime juice. Season with coriander, salt and pepper to taste. Cover; chill.
- Over low flame, toast cumin, coriander, chili powder and peppercorns in non-stick pan until fragrant (about 45-60 seconds). Remove from heat, cool and grind.
- In hot saute pan, saute poblano pepper, red onion, red pepper and garlic in duck fat until onion and garlic soften.
- Add ground spices to incorporate. Add duck confit; toss just to heat through and incorporate. Add more duck fat as needed. Set aside.
- Heat flour tortillas on griddle or warm saute pan until soft.
- Place about 2 ounces of warm duck confit in center of tortilla.
- Artfully garnish each tortilla with 2 or 3 slices of shaved red radish.
- Place ½ cup of slaw to one end of rectangle plate.
- Shingle tacos along length of plate.
- Portion 2 ounces of orange serrano salsa into ramekin. Place on plate opposite slaw.
- Garnish top of slaw with fresh cilantro leafs.